Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Shoe Review Tuesday #6 (Nike LunarGlide+3)

Nike LunarGlide+3 
Support Category: Neutral to mild stability
Weight: 11 oz
Cost: $100
Available in Widths: Yes
Multiple Colors Available: Yes
Durability: 300-500 miles
Updates from Previous Model:
  • Added grooves in the sockliner
  • Split the outsole down the middle for a springier step
Upper: Minimal with a breathable mesh
Arch Height: High
Heel-Toe Drop: 12 mm

My Take on the Shoe
The first step I took in this shoe sent mixed signals through my mind. Right off the bat, I could feel the infamous high arch that almost every Nike shoe I've ever had has. But it was way cushier than I am used to, and I liked it. A more detailed analysis of the shoe:
  • Heel- The LunarGlide+3 has memory foam in the heel so it is a nice snug feel that gets more and more comfortable the more you wear it, because it molds to your foot.
  • Midfoot Wrap- Because of the implementation of the flywire, the tighter you tie your laces, the tighter it is around your arch. With that being said, it really is up to you as to how loose or tight it fits on the midfoot(great amount of customizability here, great job Nike!)
  • Forefoot- A nice open toe is boasted in the LunarGlide+3, which in my opinion makes it a comfortable shoe for both walking and running. It isn't too wide though, so get your normal size.
  • Cushion- 8.5 out of 10. Very nice cushion, super soft, you don't have to worry about stepping on rocks or anything because you are running/walking on a cloud.


Grooved Sockliner? What is that/why would they do it?
The sockliner is the little insole that comes with the shoe. Nike recently added grooves to the bottom so when you cinch up the laces on the shoes, even the bottom part of your foot gets a customized fit. It pulls on the sides giving a full wrap around your foot, making an even more personalized fit.
Split the outsole?
On the bottom of the LunarGlide+3, it looks like there is a chunk missing from the heel leading up to the forefoot. If you look straight at it, you can see the midsole component, which is basically what cushions the impact when you run. By leaving a piece missing from the middle, there is almost a trampoline effect when weight is put on the center of the shoe. The midsole sinks down into the crevice and shoots back up giving you return in your step and an extra little boost of cushion.
A Little Personal
I used the LunarGlide+2 for my long run shoe for a while and I would say everything that shoe lacked, the new version has come in strong. The upper has just the right amount of support, the cushion is outstanding, the durability is amazing, and you can use it for pretty much anything. The good thing about the Dynamic Support system is that it really opens up the field for a bunch of runners. I have been using this shoe lightly so far, but first impressions are good. It's hard for me to find a shoe I don't like, but I genuinely do like the LunarGlide+3. Specific reasons I like the shoe:
  • Price, the $100 price point is starting to look more appealing because a lot of entry level performance running shoes are jumping up to $105 and $110.
  • Versatility, I know I say this about almost every shoe I review, but this one more than others because it can be used for sports other than running, cross training, etc... AND it can be used safely for neutral gait as well as for a pronating gait
  • Color options, like most Nike shoes, the LunarGlide+3 has a multitude of colors available, and you can design your own!
Overall this shoe gets a 7 out of 10 for me. It's going to last you a long time, be super soft for around 400 miles, and can be used for pretty much anything. Note, this is the entry level version of the LunarEclipse, which I reviewed a few weeks ago, so if you're on a budget, try picking this one up if you thought the Eclipse looked interesting. Now go enjoy The Life of a Runner.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment